Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Top 8 Haunted House Movies

As a non-lover of the genre, these are my top 8 (I couldn't think of more than 8 haunted house movies that I liked):

8. House on Haunted Hill - The original, not the remake. I liked this one and thought it had a clever ending. Not my favorite movie ever, but deserving of a spot on this list (especially considering how few I've seen). I saw the remake in theaters. Waste of $12.
7. 1408 - I really liked this movie but I did not like the ending, I thought it was really weird. But overall the buildup really scared me, as always with Stephen King. The stuff of nightmares. I definitely won't be giving it a second viewing. ;) But it scared me enough that I thought it should go on this list.
6. The Amityville Horror - What Jeffrey said.
5. Poltergeist - My sister and I used to love watching the movies that were on TV on Halloween, especially Raggedy Ann and Andy in the Pumpkin Who Couldn't Smile. Poor pumpkin. But Poltergeist was one that I watched once, had nightmares about, and never watched again until I was much, much older.
4. The Haunting - What Jeffrey said. And also, the original, not the remake. (HORRIBLE.)
3. Beetlejuice - I was obsessed with this movie when I was little. My sister and I watched it like once a week as soon as it came out on video. Tons of our old home movies feature my sister singing the Banana Boat song. "Ok, I believe you!" My parents probably shouldn't have let us watch this so much. But man I loved it and was terrified by it at the same time. (I was and am a total 'fraidy cat.)
2. The Shining - Although I just watched it for the first time, obviously it has to go on my top 8 list considering how much I loved it (minus the ending) and how great a film it is.
1. The Others - This is one of my all-time favorite horror movies by far, I can't believe I forgot to mention it in my earlier posts about the genre. I absolutely loved it. My sister and I have a tradition of watching scary movies on Halloween (I know, can you believe it? Me!) and this was by far the best one we've ever chosen. Great film.

The Changeling was on our list this year but I couldn't get it in time. I'll definitely make it a priority for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment