Monday, May 2, 2011

Not that lonely of a soapbox

Hey guys-

I've been reading every single post but have been out of town (again) plus sick the last few days plus reading some really distracting & extremely disturbing books (The Hunger Games series... I don't recommend it). But I just wanted to say Brandon that you're definitely not alone on your soapbox, I was up until 2:30 am because I was so upset by the footage of the parties in the streets. It really bothered me on so many levels, the most selfish of which is that I am a New Yorker with an anxiety disorder who lives a few blocks from like target numero uno Times Square and I can't believe people would be so stupid and ego maniacal and xenophobic as to go on INTERNATIONAL television cheering such obnoxious gloating chants (I watched Al Jazeera for like 3 hours last night... believe me, the footage from DC and NYC was really NOT a good color on us) and also so stupid to say into a camera "It's all finally over!!!!!!" I don't think you could be stupider. But on a bigger level, Jeffrey's quotes from MLK really sum it up for me, it's exactly what I've been thinking this entire time. I mean the entire reaction was so upsetting and disturbing to me, from the reporters to the crowds in the streets. And it seemed to me like everyone was having the opposite reaction as me so I have been feeling like that person in high school who was like, "um hey guys I don't really think you should be smoking on the bus..." -- you know? So Brandon I'm glad you said something. And Jeffrey. And Jason last night (I was "liking" his posts on Facebook like crazy). I changed my FB picture to a peace sign and wore one on my shirt today. As if that's going to make a difference. I just really worry that everyone is missing the point. And it's giving me the blues too. So yeah anyway, the point of THIS post was just to say - "What Brandon and Jeffrey said."

I've been a terrible film club participant and honestly just too overwhelmed to respond to all of your posts of late (it's a vicious cycle once you start getting backed up with them, isn't it?). I promise I'll get back on it tomorrow with some film thoughts, I've seen a few in the last few days... but tonight I need to go to sleep because I probably only got like 3 hours total last night. I just couldn't go to sleep without backing you guys up.

I sign off tonight with the motto of my college: Pax et bonum. (Translated as a wish for 'peace and all good things.') <3

No comments:

Post a Comment