Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A few other things I forgot to say earlier

I was talking earlier with Ben about my bad habit of reading things on my phone and thinking I responded to them when I actually didn't. That goes for film club posts too. I always think I responded to stuff you guys have said but seemingly never actually do. Fail. Here are a few things from some of your recent posts that I would have said if I wasn't an insane person.

I'm much too chickenshit to get into a heated debate about Brokeback Mountain as the newcomer in the group. So instead I post about a movie about bridesmaids. I am a bit shy, obviously. ;) I also haven't seen it in a realllllly long time. I should probably rewatch it soon, definitely before saying anything else. Speaking of rewatching, I also really like the conversation you guys have been having about Match Point, I need to rewatch that too - I actually bought it when it came out because I liked it so much, but I haven't seen it in quite a while. I'm a fan of his and I don't mind his repetitive themes. Annie Hall is easily one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm also looking forward to his new movie. But Jeffrey, I haven't seen Crimes and Misdemeanors. Adding it to the list. There are actually quite a few of his I haven't seen - some are in my instant queue so hopefully I'll get to them this summer.

John I love Battlestar Galactica, although as Ben knows, I got a little bored when they ended up on New Caprica at the beginning of Season 3 (not to mention a little confused about why the writers chose to do that). Don't worry that won't spoil anything for you. Anyway, you've inspired me to finish watching the series - Ben I am rewatching the "Exodus" episodes and then continuing on from there. I was a bit farther than that but it's been so long I barely remember anything about what was going on. But John definitely post about BSG on here, I love talking about it. And I can't wait to see how it ends.

Speaking of TV series I need to catch up on, Ben, remember when you let me borrow the Tudors DVDs? Are you glad you bought the DVDs so that I could keep them for like 4 years? I'm so sorry, I hate when people do that - I am going to watch it and give it back to you the next time I see you. Just remember: you love me.

Kick Ass - Ben, I'll be interested to see what you think. As a warning though, it's really violent. Which in my opinion was a lot of the point. I really liked the themes about heroism and how they turned what I was expecting on its head - I started wondering who the good guys really were, you know? I love movies like that. I also think there's some stuff in it about the voyeurism of internet culture that you may be interested in. But I did just want to give you a heads up that if you're expecting a cute movie, it's more Kill Bill than Spiderman.

I also promise I will watch The New World soon. I feel super left out on that front.

More on the 2005 lists - I didn't like Broken Flowers. It was really upsetting to me and not in a good way. But I think that probably means it was successful. I saw it in theaters when it came out, so I don't really remember it enough to say anything substantial or to give a real explanation. Jeff, I liked Batman Begins too. Sadly it's another one that I don't really remember that well, but I am a big Christopher Nolan fan. It was definitely a flawed movie. But for a prequel type of movie (which I usually don't really like), I thought they did a good job. For example, MUCH better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. (Sigh.) I loooooved Munich. I'm kind of a sucker for anything based on real life events. But I thought it was really well made, especially because I usually get annoyed by Spielberg. I think the fact that he was restricted to something that really happened meant that for once he didn't ruin a great movie by adding on an unwarranted neat and tidy ending. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I still remember it pretty clearly. 5 stars.

Ben, congrats on the mention in the article - seriously, that's so awesome. :) Remember me when you're famous, ok?

Jeff - definitely watch KKBB. I really think you will like it. If you don't watch it, I will find you and force you to watch it, just like I do to all my friends. Tina Fey is the holy grail to me - I wouldn't say Bridesmaids is up to her quality, but it's close enough to make me think she would watch it and enjoy it. You should give it a shot when it comes out, you'll probably think it's funny. Just skip the food poisoning scene.

To all: I am very jealous that you're all going to see a movie together. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment