Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Playing catch up

Well yet again I don't even remember at this point which top 10 lists I missed responding to. Hmm...

I haven't seen many of the movies you guys have been talking about lately, including anything on Jeffrey's 2006 list except The Departed, which I really liked. Brick is one that has been in my queue for a while and every time I set out to watch it I get disrupted by something. I will watch it soon so I can weigh in.

As far as underrated movies go, the two that spring to mind for me are definitely The Life Aquatic and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. KKBB is a totally underrated movie. Nobody has ever head of it, and it's one of my favorite movies ever. I make everyone watch it as soon as I find out they haven't seen it, and I think it always SEEMS like it's going to be crappy so I love watching people be pleasantly surprised when they watch it. The Life Aquatic is actually my favorite Wes Anderson movie. It's beautiful to watch and it's so touching. But nobody ever knows what I'm talking about when I bring it up. I myself as an Anderson fan hadn't even seen it until recently. But now I'm definitely on Team Zissou.

Oh also whoever talked about All That Jazz - I LOVE that movie. I don't know why, but I'm kind of obsessed with it. I think because I like things that are bizarre and I also have always been a bit enamored with Bob Fosse because he made such a style and name for himself in the world of musicals. His choreography is always my favorite by far. (If you're in to his choreography, you should watch Fosse. It's terrific.) Anyway, the fact that on top of all that then he would go and make such a self-aware movie about himself too just adds to his allure for me. Crazy dude. Great film.

Ben, I've had All The Days Before Tomorrow in my NWI queue but have never gotten around to watching it. I will though now that you recommended it. I'll let you know what I think once I do. :)

Here's some stuff I've watched lately:

- The Lincoln Lawyer - I was really disappointed in this, I thought the adaptation from book to film was horrible. I guess it usually is, I'm not sure why I expected something different in this case. Bah.
- When In Rome - I went into this with SERIOUSLY low expectations. I thought it looked horrible from the previews I had seen back when it came out. It still wasn't a great movie, but it was cuter than I expected it to be. But I could do without all the slapstick stuff. Meh.
- I'm With Lucy - This was a really cute romcom starring Monica Potter. She goes on 5 blind dates and you know that she ends up engaged to one of them but you don't know which one. They show everything out of order - I love when movies do that. It reminded me of Definitely, Maybe, which is one of my favorites. One thing I will say though is that in I'm With Lucy the main character gets married at the end... I find it really annoying when people get married after knowing each other for like 6 weeks in movies. Oh well.
- Ally McBeal - Along with reading The Hunger Games series, this is the other thing that has been taking up my time. Ally McBeal is on NWI. I used to watch this show every week when it was on TV, so I have been really excited to be able to watch it from the beginning. Great characters.
- thirtysomething - This is the other show I've been watching on NWI. I knew my parents used to watch it when I was a baby. I totally see why, it's a great show that really captures the sentiment of people their age at the time who suddenly found themselves married with a baby and were all wondering - now what? I remember learning about it in one of my TV history classes - the main character's name is Hope. That wasn't an accident. The characters stood for something in the minds of the viewers - I guess hope that their lives behind the picket fence working for "the man" would all turn out ok and would mean something to someone someday.

Hopefully I can stay on top of this now so that I don't get so far behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment