Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Presumed Innocent?

Tonight I watched Presumed Innocent (Pakula, 1993). It's a mystery/thriller starring Harrison Ford, Brian Dennehy, and oddly enough some of my favorite TV stars (John Spencer and Bradley Whitford - both from The West Wing, and Bonnie Bedelia from Parenthood). I'm not surprised that I really liked this movie, considering the fact that Pakula's All The President's Men is one of my favorite movies ever, and, as I think I've said before, I tend to like things about trials, exoneration/DNA evidence, etc. It's also based on a novel, which is usually a good sign on my end. This one had a pretty compelling plot - a prosecutor investigates the murder of his coworker, whom he had had an affair with, and his DNA evidence turns up at the scene, so he becomes the defendant instead of the prosecutor. I can't really say more without giving away what happens, but I will say that I was not expecting it to end the way it did, but I really liked the ending, although it kind of freaked me out. I also thought it was great acting all around. On the negative side I will say that it is not exactly a cinematography wonder. It LOOKS like it was made much earlier than 1993, and not in a good way (you know, it has that made-for-TV-movie feel). Also, there is voice-over at the very beginning and end that was a little ham-handed. But overall I really liked it -- although it started out feeling a bit like an episode of Law & Order, it ended up leaving me thinking about human nature, right & wrong, guilt & innocence, that kind of stuff. But maybe that's just because I over-identify with characters. ;) (Kidding.)

Re: Jason's Weekend Recap post - As I mentioned on Facebook, your review of Dr. Strangelove made me want to see it even more than I already did. I haven't seen Hot Fuzz and am not interested in seeing it (don't hate me but I intensely disliked Shaun of the Dead, it's just not my style I think). Although I will say that I thought Paul sounded like it might be good (yay to sci-fi references) - if anyone has seen it, 1) did you like it, and 2) do you think a person would like it if they did not like Shaun of the Dead? Jason Bateman is in it, so that's a plus for me. (There's always money in the banana stand.) King of the Hill is not a movie I would ever put in my queue based on the subject material - but your review, the fact that it's by Soderbergh who also did another of my favorite movies ever (sex, lies and videotape), and the fact that it has Katherine Heigl back from when I used to love her (her Roswell days), would all actually make me consider it. But I'm not seeing it anywhere on Netflix, did you get it elsewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment