Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bridesmaids

I went to see Bridesmaids last night. I should preface this with the fact that a) I hate stupid humor and was expecting this to be that, b) I hate Kristen Wiig's characters on SNL so I was expecting it to be like that since she wrote the movie, c) I didn't know why people were saying anything comparing the movie to romcoms since to me it was so obviously not going to be one, and d) I had had two beers, a "creamsicle" shot (which I do not recommend, gross) and my only food for the night was a few handfuls of Sour Patch Kids. (Classy.)

That being said, I actually thought it was really funny, minus a few scenes, namely the scene where everyone had food poisoning. I hate that kind of humor. (South Park excluded.) But I was surprised by the fact that that was really one of the only scenes with that kind of humor in it. The rest of the movie was surprisingly funny - it reminded me more of a Tina Fey script or an Apatow movie, which I guess makes sense since he was a producer. But do not be fooled by all the people telling you that this movie is not a chick flick (we had drinks with my friend Pearce before the movie - he had seen it a few days ago and that's what he said about it - I also saw other people on the internets saying the same). It's a funny romcom, but it still is one. (It's also not the only funny romcom ever made... I grew up watching romcoms with my DAD of all people, which is probably why I write about them so often. I know you guys will never watch them but I do watch them and therefore must write something about them per the rules of film club. Anyway I'm just saying, there are some funny ones out there.)

Anyway, all things in the first paragraph considered (including my pit-of-hell low expectations and my beverage intake), I enjoyed watching it. I wouldn't pay $13.50 to see it if I were any of you. But as a Netflix rent for a Saturday night, you could do worse. Just have a few beers before you watch it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment