Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Black Swan 2

Jason - I feel your pain about the lack of responses... Usually people don't respond to mine because I watch weirdo indie movies and documentaries, so it doesn't really bother me because I bring that on myself. ;) I did want to respond to your BLACK SWAN post, but I haven't had time because I have a bunch of homework I have to get done before winter break is over (!). But the short version is that I think we watch movies kind of similarly in general, and not surprisingly I had a very similar reaction to BLACK SWAN that you did. I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one with the emotional reaction to it. It was kind of hard for me to articulate my feelings about it right after watching it, which is what I tried to do -- I think I wrote my post the same night. But I remember just being like, how can I even write something about this? I was talking to some people about it last week actually, recommending it to them, and I have to say that even now I have trouble articulating why I had such a strong reaction to it. I remember saying that I loved it and at the same time it made me want to puke. Now in hindsight, I just loved it, period. I continue to love it more as time goes by... I'm hankering for a second watch of it actually. I also regret that I didn't get to watch the special features, because I would have liked to have seen those interviews. Maybe soon.

Brandon - I can see what you're saying about the movie not needing the stuff like the mirror scene. This will surprise you considering my NSFL troubles but I actually thought they were totally in place in the movie, I guess maybe because I was empathizing with the character's crazy and I could totally see her picturing those things happening (regardless of whether they did), and I thought it kind of needed to be that scary and gimmicky because things actually can be like that in our heads. (At least in my head.) On a separate note, I thought what you were saying about the people in the theater was interesting (I thought that in the Midnight in Paris discussion too). I totally think that the context of the viewing experience can ruin a movie, or at least totally alter your experience/opinion of it. Especially like you said one that has those moments where you KNOW it's going to be sexual or violent or whatever, and you know the bozos in front of you are going to make another stupid comment. I get a little sensitive about seeing certain movies in theaters (or with certain people) for that reason. It's also kind of why I told the friends I was talking to last week NOT to watch BLACK SWAN with their parents. I actually think the awkwardness of that could just ruin the movie altogether.

Welcome Adrienne! Now I'm not the only girl in film club. :) I don't know if you heard but there used to be a No Girls Allowed sign.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lisa! I'm glad there are two of us now. I'm trying to catch up on the discussion. I seem to be watching things no one else is at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel better, I usually am watching things nobody else is watching. :)

    ReplyDelete