Monday, March 28, 2011

Top Ten Movies I Don't Like But Feel Like I Should

There are a lot of movies I don't care for but feel like I should, to be honest. Some things you should know about me before reading my list - I've been a theater geek for almost my entire life with a strong preference for musicals, so that informs my list a bit. Also, I spent all of my formative years watching old movies with my grandpa, which also informs my list. OK so here are the ten that immediately come to mind - please don't judge me:

10) Some Like It Hot. I want to like this, I really do. I generally like movies from this era and I usually can't resist the old mistaken identity story. And I have to give it to them -- it took chutzpah to do a gender-bending plot in that time period. But I thought the storyline was really overdone. And to be honest I'm not the biggest Marilyn Monroe fan. Ah I feel bad even saying this.

9) Singin' in the Rain. I've never liked this movie, and as a lover of musicals and Gene Kelly, I feel ashamed saying so. I just get bored watching it. Even the famous dancing scene. Give me Top Hat over Singin' in the Rain any day. Ugh I think my grandpa is spinning in his grave.

8) Easter Parade. Another musical I should like. My family watches it on Easter every year, and I like it even less each year than I did the year before. I just don't really like the plot, plain and simple. It might have something to do with the fact that I hate parades. So a movie about which dancer is going to dance in a parade isn't exactly my cup of tea. But I know everyone in the world loves it because, hey, Judy Garland and Fred Astaire. Ah well.

7) Rocky Horror Picture Show. Everyone I know loves this movie. Maybe it's because a lot of my friends are theater geeks too, but seriously, I think I am the only person I know who does not like it. I just can't get into it. I don't think it's funny, or good, and I think dressing up like the characters and going to a movie theater at midnight to act it out is pretty silly. (No offense if any of you do it, you just won't run into me there.)

6) Un Chien Andalou. Don't hate me. I just can't stomach this movie. I know I should like it as a person who loves films. But... no. I really don't.

5) Notorious. I am a huge Hitchcock fan... but I really don't like his espionage movies. I think they just spin themselves into a confusing web of nonsense that probably made sense at the time they were made when everyone was afraid of Russian spies but now they just seem tedious.

4) The Big Lebowski. Everyone always thinks I would love this movie because I like other Cohen brothers movies, but I just don't like this one. I think it's kind of stupid, and I'm sure you're all going to hate me for saying so. Don't ever tell anyone I don't like it - I always just pretend I do because it's not worth getting into. I wish I liked it, it would make my life easier.

3) Mulholland Drive. Again, based on the other movies I like, everyone thinks I will love Mulholland Drive. Maybe it's because I watched it late at night, but I just did not get this movie. Is it because I don't live in LA? I didn't think it was interesting, and I felt like it was trying wayyyy too hard to be "artsy." Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon and should give it a second shot. I know I should like it, I just... don't.

2) All Monty Python movies. As we get further down on this list, I am questioning whether it's even worth it (as the new member in this group) to write this post at all, because I know you guys are just going to hate me by the end of it. Please don't hate me, but I don't like the Monty Python movies at all, but I really feel like I should. I just really really don't. Part of it might be that my friends were seriously obsessed with them in high school and annoyingly quoted them ALL the time, and then when I actually watched them I was like, this isn't even funny, why are you quoting this every five minutes? I'm sure it's me.

1) Every Mel Brooks movie ever made. I think Mel Brooks humor must be like boy humor or something. I don't like it, or get it, or think it's funny at all. The Producers was the worst musical I've ever seen. I'm clearly in the minority here - yet again, everyone I know loves Mel Brooks and all of his movies and musicals. Boo.

1 comment:

  1. I want to like this, I really do. I usually like films from this era and I usually can't avoid the old wrong identification tale.so keep posting on Top Ten Movies

    ReplyDelete