Friday, June 10, 2011

Jason's right

Jason - you really have me pegged, that's actually exactly why I like indie movies -- although you articulated it much better than I probably could have. :) I'll check out Roman, thanks. I love getting recommendations.

I also love the X-Men franchise (well, the movies and video games - I haven't read any of the comics). I really am looking forward to seeing the new movie. I didn't really like X-Men 3 or the Wolverine movie though, so I was a little worried - but I'm glad to hear it's pretty good! You're not the first person I've heard that from either.

I was wondering the same thing about the deadlines for the '30s movies. I'll try to watch it today or tomorrow, sorry I haven't gotten around to it! The whole idea of a clown wandering through the movie scares me. ;)

I haven't watched many movies lately since it's been so nice out. The only ones I've seen are:

- Something Borrowed: Horrible. It has such a terrible message. Basically girl steals best friend's fiance, who's a dick to both of them anyway. It's the worst movie I've seen in a long time. I can't express how much I hated it, I can't believe the book is so popular.

- Walking and Talking: This is an indie about two friends and the transition of their friendship from childhood to adulthood -- and what happens to their friendship when one of them gets engaged. As a single girl whose friends are all getting married off, I found it to really be a bummer, honestly. I cried through it like an idiot. Plus it's always hard for me to buy Anne Heche playing a straight character. Meh.

- Conversations with Other Women: John you would hate this movie. It plays right into your stereotype of indies focusing on adultery. I wasn't that crazy about the storyline - basically two people used to be married when they were younger and meet again like 20 years later at a wedding and the woman is remarried and the guy isn't, and they're both unhappy with their lives, they end up sleeping together, and it ends with them going back to their lives and still unhappy. A real upper. I really liked how it was made though, it was basically shot from two different camera angles, and then the entire movie was cut together in split screen. Sometimes one of the screens would show what the character was thinking instead of what was happening, including "memories" in the form of flashbacks from the past, while the other screen carried the present dialogue. The rest of the time it just showed everything from their two different perspectives. It was a really artsy and well-used gimmick. I also thought Aaron Eckhart and Helena Bonham Carter gave great performances. But overall just based on the content, I also give this one a 'meh.' It was really depressing.

- Ralph Nader: An Unreasonable Man: This was a biographical documentary that followed Ralph Nader's career trajectory from consumer activist star to controversial presidential candidate. I didn't really know anything about Nader, to be honest, so this was interesting for me. Even though all documentaries clearly come from a certain point of view, I thought the great thing about this one was how the interviews really followed the trajectory of his career and almost mirrored public opinion - when he was demanding seatbelts and airbags be put in cars and doing all his consumer advocacy stuff everyone loved him, and then as he waded into a political career, and as the storyline and the interviews went on, everyone was harshly split down the middle, with some still loyal to him and some outright hating him. I thought for a documentary involving politics it was really well made and informative, and for a biographical documentary it was not always that flattering, which I like. But he's kind of a compelling guy, in a weird way. He reminds me of my uncle. I can't help but wonder if he reminds a lot of people of their weird uncle. I think he's just that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment