Thursday, July 21, 2011

2004

I hate making top 10 lists but I loved so many movies from 2004 that I thought I'd chime in. My lack of commentary (and italics) comes from the fact that my Internet is broken so I am typing this one-fingered on an iPad. Please just know that these are just the movies that were my *favorite* (which I distinguish from "best"... obviously.) There are quite a few others from 2004 that I'd like to see, including a few you guys mentioned.

1. The Life Aquatic - Jeff I am also a huge Wes Anderson fan, and this is my favorite of his too, and also one of my favorite movies ever. It's so beautiful, both visually and plot-wise. There's something about this entire film that really grips me and makes me want to show it to people to get them to like films. :)

2. Eternal Sunshine - You guys said it better than I ever could.

3. We Don't Live Here Anymore - Totally agree Ben. This is the movie that got me hooked on indie films. It so truthful. Best performances I've ever seen from these actors (and they are some of my favorite actors).

4. Garden State - Me too, Ben. It's another one that's one of my favorite movies ever. I think I've watched it a million times. I loved the script, the acting, the ambiance, the soundtrack, the shots. And there was just something about it that just resonated with me. "Good luck exploring the infinite abyss." Maybe it is a generational thing. But I think I'll always love this movie.

5. Closer - I think I should be embarrassed about this one, but I really loved it. It's another one that I thought was visually stunning, and I thought all 4 of the leads gave great performances. It felt real to me.

6. Before Sunset - You guys win. Going back and thinking about all the 2004 movies I've seen, I couldn't not put this on my list. It was great.

7. Kill Bill 2 - I agree with Brandon, I think this baby can stand alone. But like Jeff, I've never tried watching them back-to-back. Maybe I should. Anyway I loved this one, more than the first.

8. Saved! - I thought this movie was genius. Maybe more so since I went to Catholic school. But when it came out on DVD my college roommates and I watched it almost every weekend. It was a unique, smart comedy.

9. Wicker Park - I'm sure this will be an unpopular pick but I love this movie. I thought it was really well written, directed, shot and edited. Plus I'm a sucker for a twist ending. Here began my girl-crush on Rose Byrne.

10. Documentary Tie: Control Room, Born Into Brothels, Capturing The Friedmans, Super Size Me, Outfoxed - This set of 2004 documentaries (plus a couple others) are really what got me interested in documentaries. I can't decide between them, so I give them a tie.

Honorable Mentions: Maria Full of Grace, Sideways (I think you guys hated it but I really liked it), The Incredibles, I Heart Huckabees, Butterfly Effect (director's cut only! the ending to the theater version was horrible).

Movies I was too embarrassed to ever even consider putting on my list: Miracle (I'm such a sucker), Secret Window (me too Ben), Napoleon Dynamite (love it), The Village (I know it's known as Shyamalan's worst movie... why do I like it?!), Mean Girls (damn I love Tina Fey), I Robot (I know, I know, but it was so pretty and beautiful and cool and sentimental! My imagination totally took over when it came to the robots - I usually hate CGI but I totally bought into the whole thing).

Ben, I liked The Girl Next Door too! I thought it was kind of mis-marketed. Definitely deserves more attention.

I feel like I have 8000 movies to watch, even just from 2004. Too bad my Netflix doesn't work. Blurgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment