Saturday, July 9, 2011

"You found a hitman ONLINE?"

Honestly I was expecting Horrible Bosses to be pretty horrible. But it played so much to Jason Bateman and Charlie Day's strengths that it ended up being funny. I liked the first half better than the second half - I wasn't a big fan of how it kind of turned into a car chase/comedy of errors scenario (I wouldn't have been surprised if I'd looked up who the director was in advance - Brett Ratner). I also thought there were a few parts that were unnecessarily racist - it felt lazy to me that they stooped to it. (The "most dangerous bar in town" does not have to be filled with a bunch of black guys in order to write funny jokes.) And, as with most buddy flicks, there were also some gross parts I had to cover my eyes for. But it's really the unique humor of Bateman (from Arrested Development) and Day (from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - you would have thought it was Michael Bluth and Charlie in the film - that kept me entertained. If you are a fan of either of those guys, you will enjoy their funny-as-always delivery and also the way they play off of each other. It's like a dream cast - picture Michael Bluth reacting to Charlie's antics. Funny, right? (I hope Charlie Day is in more movies in the future.) I wouldn't advise paying $15 to see it like I did. But if you're ever in the mood for comedy + car chase, or if you just want to see Kevin Spacey acting like a complete psycho, it's not the most horrible option.

No comments:

Post a Comment